Here in the South, we tend to get a little ahead of ourselves when it comes to the changing seasons. We are so ready to say farewell to those humid and hot summer days and don our cozy sweaters… if only the weather would cooperate! While we may be too toasty in our tights and jackets for a few weeks to come, it’s definitely not too early to start getting our homes ready for the cooler months!
I have compiled a little list of easy ways to transition your home from the bright and breezy feel of summer, to the cozy, textural style of fall!
1. Textured Pillows. I’ve said it before, and I will say it again. Pillows are THE easiest way to update a room. You can change the entire color pallet and feel of a room just by changing the pillows! I suggest keeping at least two sets: one set for spring and summer (bright/light colors, light weight, natural fabrics such as cotton and linen) and one set for fall and winter (highly textural, muted, warm colors in heavier fabrics like fur and wool) and swap them back and forth when the seasons begin to change!
2. A Cozy Rug. With a rug like this, you’re definitely not limited to using it during the fall and winter, but it does make those cool evenings extra warm and fuzzy when you’re curled up on a rug that feels like a giant cable-knit sweater!
3. Candle Holders. As we approach winter, the sunlight fades earlier and earlier in the day. By lighting candles in stunning candle holders, you take control of a dark situation and add a warm glow to your home. Bonus points if your candle holders are shiny and reflective to bounce around even more light and add a metallic shimmer to fall’s muted tones!
4. A Snugly Throw. Whether it’s a cable-knit throw like the one pictured, or a beautiful faux fur version, a throw serves both a practical and an aesthetic purpose.
5. Slate Coasters. OK, so it doesn’t have to specifically be “slate coasters,” but I love the idea of adding something dark and highly textural that has the double purpose of making your home cozier and better prepared to host all of the guests that come along with the cooler weather. We have people over for football-watching parties, Thanksgiving, the Holidays, you name it! The fall is when we start welcoming people not just into our yards, but into our homes.
6. Beautiful Bar Accessories. Really, there’s never a wrong time of year to beef up your bar cart, but you might find yourself visiting your stash a little more frequently in the cooler months, both because of the increase of traffic in your home, as well as all of the ciders, mulled wines, and other spiked beverages we enjoy during this season! I love these imprinted metal “booze markers” that hang around the neck of a lovely decanter. They make wonderful gifts, but you might just want to keep them for yourself!
7. Scented Candles. Scent is strongly attached to memories and emotion. There’s nothing better to get you in the fall spirit than an appropriately scented candle! We love both pumpkin and cranberry orange for the fall! And they come in adorable, nostalgic tins to boot!
I hope this little collection has provided some inspiration for transitioning your home from summer to fall!
Thanks for reading, lovelies!
-Bailey, The Shopgirl
***All items pictured are available from Redo, either in stock at the shop, or through custom order. Give us a call, or shoot us an email with any questions you may have!***